I teach courses in Rhetoric and Journalism. My teaching and research focuses on the importance of media (both historical and contemporary) and the power and beauty of the spoken and written word; I am particularly fascinated by the way Eleanor Roosevelt used radio during the Cold War. The world needs Liberal Arts and Sciences scholars who have learned to see connections between disciplines, have acquired essential academic skills and have been given the tools to engage with their local and global communities.
Publications and presentations
Find a full list here.
- 2012: PhD Utrecht University (Dissertation entitled ‘Sending the Right message. Forty years of BBC Radio News)
- 2003: Certificate TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)
- 1990-1991: Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism (BJTC), Darlington College of Technology
- 1986-1989: B.A. (JointHons) Economics/Politics, University of Durham
- 2018-: Director of Education, Associate Professor of Media
- 2017: Fullbright Scholar, Bard College, USA
- 2013-2017: Associate Professor and Head of Academic Core Department
- Spring 2010: Guest Professor of Communication and Honors College International Faculty Fellow at University of Central Missouri.
- 2004-2012: Instructor, Tutor and PR Advisor to the Dean of UCR
- Jan 2004 –Aug 2005: English Fluency teacher, bilingual stream, Goese Lyceum. Teacher Dutch for foreigners.
- August 2000-Sept 2002: Head of External Relations, Bournemouth University, overseeing public relations and education liaison departments. Media Training for external companies and lecturing on PR degree.
- April 1998-August 2000: PR Manager, Bournemouth University, responsible for University media policy, media training of staff, editor of staff newsletter, annual report, external website and other corporate publications.
- Dec 1997-April 1998: Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC Radio Newsroom, London. Editing of and writing for bulletins and summaries on BBC radio 2, 3, 4 and 5-Live. Newsreporting for the above stations, newsreading and presenting on 5-Live. Sony Radio Academy Award.
- May 1995-Nov 1997: Broadcast Journalist, BBC Radio Newsroom, London
- Oct 1994-April 1995: Bimedia Journalist (Radio &TV) – BBC South, Southampton
- April 1993-Oct 1994: Reporter and producer BBC Radio Solent, Southampton
- Jan 1992- April 1993: Reporter, producer/newsreader 2CR-FM, Independent Radio
- March 1990-Aug 1990: Editorial Assistant, Strategic Direction Publishers, Maidenhead