I am an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Law of Utrecht University and at UCR, where I teach courses in public international law and international human rights law. I hold a Ph.D. in Law from the Université Libre de Bruxelles as well as postgraduate degrees in international law (Utrecht University) and international relations (University of Cambridge).
My research concerns primarily the human rights of vulnerable migrants such as refugees, asylum seekers and undocumented migrants. I am also a senior researcher in the ‘Cities of Refuge’ project, which investigates the international legal obligations and policies of European cities and local governments in the domain of migration.
Being a UCR alumnus (Class of 2010) myself, I personally appreciate the interdisciplinary and critical perspective provided by its Liberal Arts and Sciences education. As an instructor, I now greatly enjoy sharing my passion for international law and human rights with a diverse and motivated student body.
- Baumgärtel, M. (forthcoming), Demanding Rights: Europe’s Supranational Courts and the Dilemma of Migrant Rights, Cambridge University Press.
- Oomen, B. and Baumgärtel, M. (2018), ‘Frontier Cities: The Rise of Local Authorities as an Opportunity for International Human Rights Law’, European Journal of International Law 29, no. 2, pp. 607-630.
- Baumgärtel, M. (2018), ‘Part of the Game: Government Strategies against European Litigation Concerning Migrant Rights’, in T. Gammeltoft-Hansen and T. Aalberts (eds.), The Changing Practices of International Law, Cambridge University Press, pp. 103-128.
- Ganty, S. and Baumgärtel, M. (2018), ‘Établir un droit juste de la migration’, in B. Frydman and C. Bricteux (eds.), Les grands défis du droit global, Bruylant, pp. 79-113.
- Baumgärtel, M. (2014), ‘Perspectives on the ‘User’: Unpacking a Concept for Human Rights Research’, Human Rights & International Legal Discourse 8, no. 2, pp. 142-157.
- Rrustemi, A. and Baumgärtel, M. (2014), ‘Shooting in the Dark: Evaluating Kosovo’s Amnesty Law and the Role of International Actors’, Hague Journal on the Rule of Law 6, no. 2, pp. 115-140.
- Baumgärtel, M., Staes, D., and Mena Parras, F. J., (2014), ‘Hierarchy, Coordination, or Conflict? Global Law Theories and the Question of Human Rights Integration’, European Journal of Human Rights, no. 3, pp. 326-354.
- Oomen, B. and Baumgärtel, M. (2014), ‘Human Rights Cities’, in M. Gibney and A. Mihr (eds.), The Sage Handbook of Human Rights (vol. 2), Sage, pp. 709-729