I am currently working as Head of the Social Sciences department and Associate Professor of Methods and Statistics. In addition, I am a chair of UCR Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) committee and a member of UU EDI Steering Committee. Throughout my career I have acquired extensive interdisciplinary research and teaching expertise in cross-cultural and clinical psychology, diversity, and research methods and statistics. My main area of research interests includes emotion regulation and mental health in various (gender-, ethnic-) minority groups as I really believe that diversity and inclusion are both at the core of our society, and should be in the heart of the academia. Consequently, I am constantly looking for opportunities for students to foster inclusiveness and connectedness to society. At UCR, I’m teaching primarily Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methodology and Statistics courses (all 200-level), Abnormal Psychology (200-level), and I supervise undergraduate research (SEPRs, academic internships, and research assistantships). I work at UCR because it is characterized by a liberal and international educational climate. Students are excited and motivated to participate. Colleagues are dedicated and supportive. Small-scale education is making it possible to get to know your students and colleagues, and to learn from each other. UCR provides a truly synergistic learning environment!
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., Verdouw, P. C. D., Van Boven, J., Ryzhkina, O. A., Batkhina, A., Aksoz-Efe, I., Hamzallari, O., Papageorgopoulou, P., Uka, F., Petrović, N., Statovci, A., Rutenfrans-Stupar, M., Praničević, D. G., Zahaj, S., & Mijts, E. (2021). Ethnic outgroup aggression: A pilot study on the importance of emotion regulation, nationalism and susceptibility to persuasion. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 84, 79-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2021.07.004
- Lindert, A., Korzilius, H. P. L. M., Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., & Van de Vijver, A. J. R. E. (2021). The role of perceived discrimination, intergroup contact and adoption in acculturation among four Dutch immigrant groups, International Journal of Intercultural Relations, (in press), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2021.02.005
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., Elzes, J., & Van den Elst, J. (2020). Semantic priming of colored signs in the peripheral vision during electronic text reading. Multimodal Technologies and Interaction, 4. https://doi.org/10.3390/mti4020028
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., De Koff, D. G., & Van den Elst, J. (2019). The effect of email subject lines on open rates of email marketing messages. Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 6, 181-188.
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S. & Van Boven, J. (2018). Importance of emotion regulation in intercultural communication. In I. Kolesov (Eds.), Intercultural Communication, Linguistic and Language Teaching: Innovative Technologies and Approaches. Conference Proceedings published in Russian Science Citation Index, (pp. 9-11). Barnaul (Siberia), Russia: Linguistic Institute of Altai State Pedagogical University and The Russian Federation Ministry of Education and Science.
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S. & Brouwer, J. E. G. (2018). Changing Values and Identities in the Post-Communist World. Book Review. APA div. 52 International Psychology Bulletin, 22, 45-47.
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S. & Verdouw, P. C. D. (2018). Well-Being of youth and emerging adults across cultures: Novel approaches and findings from Europe, Asia, Africa and America. Book Review. APA div. 52International Psychology Bulletin, 22, 27-29.”
- Ryzhkina, O. A., Golendukhina, A. V., & Stupar-Rutenfrans, S. (2018). Cultural aspects of video games software adaptation. Intercultural Communication: Adapting to Emerging Global Realities: A Reader, 2nd Edition, Cognella Publisher, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Jung, H. P., Jung, T., Huber, M., Stupar-Rutenfrans, S. & Wensing, M. (2018). Meer tijd voor patiënten, minder verwijzingen? Huisarts en Wetenschap, 3, 39-41.
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., Ketelaars, L. E. H., & Van Gisbergen, M. S. (2017). Beat the fear of public speaking: Does the 360° video virtual reality exposure training in home environment reduces speech anxiety? Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking, 20, 624-633. doi:10.1089/cyber.2017.0174
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., Fontaine, J. R. J., & Van de Vijver, A. J. R. E. (2017). The Importance of Culture in Emotion Regulation. APA div. 52 International Psychology Bulletin, 21, 54-59.
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., Van de Vijver, A. J. R., & Fontaine, J. R. J. (2016). Self- and other-oriented motivations associated with emotional suppression of internalized and externalized negative emotions: A multiethnic self-report study in the Netherlands. In C. Roland-Lévy, P. Denoux, B. Voyer, P. Boski & W. K. Gabrenya Jr. (Eds.), Unity, diversity, and culture: Research and Scholarship Selected from the 22nd Congress of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology (pp. 439-445). Melbourne, Florida USA: International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology.
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., Fontaine, J. R. J., & Van de Vijver, A. J. R. (2016). Interethnic similarity of anger suppression-aggression association in conflicts in intimate and non-intimate relationships across ethnic groups in the Netherlands. In C. Roland-Lévy, P. Denoux, B. Voyer, P. Boski & W. K. Gabrenya Jr. (Eds.), Unity, diversity, and culture: Research and Scholarship Selected from the 22nd Congress of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology (pp. 446-454). Melbourne, Florida USA: International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology.
- Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., & Rutenfrans-Stupar, M. T. J. (2016). A proposed model of nationalism and aggression in Western Europe. APA div. 52 International Psychology Bulletin, 20, 64-66.
- Arntz, A., Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., et.al. (2015). Prediction of treatment discontinuation and recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder: Results from an RCT comparing Schema Therapy and Transference Focused Psychotherapy. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 74, 60-71. doi:10.1016/j.brat.2015.09.002
- Van den Boom, A. L. F. M., Stupar-Rutenfrans, S., Bastiaens, S. P., & Van Gisbergen, M. S. (2015). Observe of participate: The effect of point-of-view on presence and enjoyment in 360 degree movies for head mounted displays. The European Conference on Ambient Intelligence, Online conference proceedings indexed by SCOPUS.
- Stupar, S. (2015). Immigrants regulate emotions in the same way as majority members in the Netherlands (PhD-dissertation).
- Stupar, S., Van de Vijver, A. J. R., & Fontaine, J. R. J. (2015). Emotion valence, intensity, and emotion regulation in immigrants and majority members in the Netherlands. International Journal of Psychology, 50, 312-318. doi:10.1002/ijop.12091
- Stupar, S., Van de Vijver, A. J. R., & Fontaine, J. R. J. (2014). Emotional suppression and well-being in immigrants and majority group members in the Netherlands, International Journal of Psychology, 49, 503-507. doi: 10.1002/ijop.12040
- Stupar, S., Van de Vijver, A. J. R., Te Lindert, A., & Fontaine, J. R. J. (2014). Multicultural attitudes mediate the relation between personality and perceived ethnic outgroup distance in the Netherlands, International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 38, 24-35. doi:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2013.05.002
More info on her research, publications and ongoing projects can be found on: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dr-Snezana-Stupar-Rutenfrans