We live on a magnificent planet. It is continually shaped by numerous processes which sustain life. A deeper understanding of these processes and how they relate to each other allows for looking into the past and making modest predictions about the foreseeable future. It also enables mankind to know how to employ natural processes to use resources sustainably.
I love Earth Science and together with students study how to be good stewards of this world in the classroom, laboratory, and field/sea. My expertise was built and shaped at Dutch (UU, TUDelft, WUR, Wetsus) and American (FSU, Hope, Bard) academic institutes and for a large part involves water quality, geochemistry, (bio-)crystallization, element cycles and recovery. I came to University College Roosevelt because here instructors can shape their teaching and research with students in a personal way. Also, working along-side faculty with a different expertise allows for a creative and dynamic academic environment.
- PCT/NL2015/050492 “Process for recovering elemental selenium from wastewater” S.P.W. Hageman, R.D. van der Weijden, C.N.J. Buisman, 2015.
- Patent 1025050: “Method for the recovery of non –ferro metal particles from particle streams.” R.D. van der Weijden, P.C. Rem, Delft University of Technology, 2004. (Sold to US and Japan)
- Microbial selenium sulfide reduction for selenium recovery from wastewater S.P.W. Hageman,, R.D. van der Weijden, A.J.M. Stams, P. van Cappellen, C.J.N. Buisman. Journal or Hazardous Materials 2017, 329, 110-119 (to be published in May).
- Calcium phosphate granulation in anaerobic treatment of black water: a new approach to phosphorus recovery. Tervahauta, T., Van der Weijden, R.D., Flemming, R.L., Zeeman, G. and Buisman, C.N.J. Water Research 2014, 48 (1) 632-642.
- Calcite growth: Rate dependence on saturation, on ratios of dissolved calcium and (bi)carbonate and on their complexes. Van Der Weijden, C.H., Van Der Weijden, R.D. Journal of Crystal Growth 2014, 394, pp. 137-144.
- Copper recovery combined with electricity production in a Microbial Fuel Cell. Annemiek Ter Heijne, Fei Liu, Renata van der Weijden, Jan Weijma, Cees J.N. Buisman, and Hubertus V.M. Hamelers. Environmental Science and Technology, 2010, 44 (11), 4376-4381.
- Biological scorodite crystallization. P. Contreira Gonzalez, J.Weijma, R.D. van der Weijden, C.N.J. Buisman. Environmental Science and Technology, 2010, 44, (2), 675 -680.