I have started to work at UCR in 2011 after a career in both academia and industry. I have studied Medical Biology at Utrecht University, with majors in Hematology and Immunology, followed by a Ph.D in Medical Sciences on a study about lung mast cells. I am also registered as Immunologist. Next, I moved to Belgium to work at the Department of Respiratory Medicine of the Antwerp University. Here, I was involved in research, laboratory management, and student education. Main areas of interest were inflammatory processes in acute lung injury, asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). In industry, I was Study Director with PM Research Laboratories in Leuven for studies in the field of cigarette smoking and lung disease, followed by a short period as Scientific and Medical Writer in Waterloo, Belgium. I have participated in courses on Teaching Excellence and Honors Teaching and have obtained my Teaching Qualification
- Rijkers GT, Yousif LIE, Spoorenberg SMC, van Overveld FJ. Triptych of the Hermit Saints: pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccines for the elderly. Risk Management and Healthcare Policy (2018) 11: 55–65.
- Hageman IC, van Overveld FJ, Rijkers GT. Visions of the hereafter: releasing the brakes of the immune system by checkpoint inhibition immunotherapy. International Journal of Immunology and Immunotherapy (2017) 4: 026.
- Vo Ngoc DTL, Krist L, van Overveld FJ, Rijkers GT. The long and winding road to IgA deficiency: causes and consequences. Expert Review of Clinical Immunology (2017) 13: 371-382.
- Bekkering P, Jafri I, van Overveld FJ, Rijkers GT. The intricate association between gut microbiota and development of Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 diabetes. Expert Review of Clinical Immunology (2013) 9: 1031–1041.
- Meijer M, Rijkers GT, van Overveld FJ. Neutrophils and emerging targets for treatment in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Expert Review of Clinical Immunology (2013) 9: 1055–1068.
- Beunk L, Verwoerd A, van Overveld FJ, Rijkers GT. Role of mast cells in mucosal diseases: Current concepts and strategies for treatment. Expert Review of Clinical Immunology (2013) 9:53-63.
- Stinn W, Buettner A, Weiler H, Friedrichs B, Luetjen S, van Overveld FJ, Meurrens K, Janssens K, Gebel S, Haussmann H-J. Inflammatory effects, lung tumorigenesis, and emphysema development in a long-term inhalation study with cigarette mainstream smoke in mice. Toxicological Sciences (2013) 131: 596-611.
- Demkow UA, van Overveld FJ. Role of elastases in the pathogenesis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: implications for treatment.European Journal of Medical Research (2010) 15, Suppl. 2: 27-35.
- Van Overveld FJ, Demkow UA, Górecka D, et al. Differences in responses upon corticosteroid therapy between smoking and non-smoking patients with COPD. Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology (2006) 57, Suppl. 4: 273-282.
- Van Overveld FJ, Demkow UA, Górecka D, et al. Inhibitory capacity of different steroids on neutrophil migration across a bilayer of endothelial and bronchial epithelial cells. European Journal of Pharmacology (2003) 477: 261-267.
- Van Overveld FJ, Vermeire PA, De Backer WA. Induced sputum of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) contains adhesion promoting, therapy-sensitive factors. Inflammation Research (2000) 49: 8-13.
- De Backer WA, Amsel B, Jorens PG, Bossaert L, Hiemstra PS, van Noort P, van Overveld FJ. N-acetylcysteine pre-treatment of cardiac surgery patients influences plasma neutrophil elastase and neutrophil influx in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. Intensive Care Medicine (1996) 22: 900-908.
- Jorens PG, De Jongh RF, De Backer WA, Van Damme J, van Overveld FJ, et al. Interleukin-8 production in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass: the influence of pre-treatment with methylprednisolone. American Review of Respiratory Disease (1993) 148: 890-895.
- Van Overveld FJ, Jorens PG, Rampart M, et al. Tumour necrosis factor stimulates human skin mast cells to release histamine and tryptase. Clinical and Experimental Allergy (1991) 21: 711-714.
- Jorens PG, van Overveld FJ, Bult H, et al. L-arginine dependent production of nitrogen oxides by rat pulmonary macrophages. European Journal of Pharmacology (1991) 200: 205-209.
- Van Overveld FJ, Houben LAMJ, Schmitz du Moulin FEM, et al. Mast cell heterogeneity in human lung tissue. Clinical Science (1989) 77: 297- 304.