I am Full Professor of Community Engaged Learning in Health and Care at UCR and Lector Elderly Care at the HZ / University of Applied Sciences. After obtaining my Ph.D. degree in 2000 on new treatment strategies for Parkinson’s disease, I worked as a visiting scientist at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke in Bethesda, US and as an assistant professor at the Department of Medical Pharmacology of the VU University in Amsterdam. In both positions I studied new pharmacotherapies for neurodegenerative diseases. My current research activities focus on interventions and technological tools for the elderly, especially those with dementia. I am also keen to contribute to innovations in higher (health care and medical) education. This links to my passion for teaching, that I developed early on in my career. I have worked at our college for many years now and I learn something new every day, with and from, the students in my courses and research. It is the close interaction between all members of our community that makes UCR special to me.
- The Potential of Immersive Virtual Reality for Cognitive Training in Elderly. Bauer and Andringa, Gerontology (2020) 66(6):614-623.
- Feasibility of Virtual Reality in Elderly with Dementia. Andringa G et al. Communications in Computer and Information Science 2019; 1117;146-149.
- Kimmig, ACS, Andringa, G and Derntl, B (2018) Potential Adverse Effects of Violent Video Gaming: Interpersonal-Affective Traits Are Rather Impaired Than Disinhibition in Young Adults May 16 Frontiers In Psychology.
- Andringa G, van der Zande N, van de Nes J, Rijkers G. The Test Your Memory (TYM) Test Outperforms the MMSE in the Detection of MCI and Dementia. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2017; 14(6):598-607.
- Kortekaas R, Eshuis SA, Andringa G, Cools AR, Leenders KL. Motor behavior correlates with striatal [¹⁸F]-DOPA uptake in MPTP-lesioned primates. Neurochem Int. 2013 Mar;62(4):349-53.
- Wilhelmus MM, Verhaar R, Andringa G, Bol JG, Cras P, Shan L, Hoozemans JJ, Drukarch B. Presence of tissue transglutaminase in granular endoplasmic reticulum is characteristic of melanized neurons in Parkinson’s disease brain. Brain Pathol. 2011 Mar;21(2):130-9.
- Andringa G, Bol JG, Wang X, Boekel A, Bennett MC, Chase TN, Drukarch B. Changed distribution pattern of the constitutive rather than the inducible HSP70 chaperone in neuromelanin-containing neurones of the Parkinsonian midbrain. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2006 Apr;32(2):157-69.
- Andringa G, Drukarch B, Bol JGJM, de Bruin K, Sorman K, Habraken JBA, Booij J. (2005) Pinhole SPECT imaging of dopamine transporters correlates with dopamine transporter immunohistochemical analysis in the MPTP mouse model of Parkinson’s disease. Neuroimage. 26, 4:1150-8.
- Andringa G, Lam KY, Chegary M, Wang X, Chase TN, Bennett MC, (2004) Tissue transglutaminase catalyzes the formation of alpha-synuclein crosslinks in Parkinson’s disease. FASEB J., 18, 7: 932-934.
- Andringa G, Eshuis S, Perentes E, Maguire RP, Roth D, Ibrahim M, Leenders KL, Cools AR. (2003) TCH346 prevents motor symptoms and loss of striatal FDOPA uptake in bilaterally MPTP-treated primates. Neurobiol. Dis., 14, 2: 205-217.