I am a marine biologist by training & obtained my Ph.D. at the Netherlands Institute of Ecology (now Netherlands Institute for Sea Research) in 1998 on the adaptation of marine microalgae to fluctuating irradiances, caused by vertical mixing of the water column. Part of the work for this thesis was carried out at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York. After obtaining my Ph.D. I worked as a science communication officer for the Netherlands Institute of Ecology, and as Policy Advisor for the strategy department of the Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water management in the Hague. During this period I published the book Hoogwater, concerning the Dutch water management in the past and in the future. In addition, I wrote the “Isis” future scenarios, which were used to generate a corporate discussion about the long-term strategy of the ministry. On the side, I am also a PADI dive instructor.
- Flameling, I.A., Kromkamp, J. (1994) Responses of respiration and photosynthesis of Scenedesmus protuberans Fritsch to gradual and steep salinity increases. Journal of Plankton Res. Vol. 16: pp. 1781-1791.
- Flameling, I.A., Kromkamp, J. (1995) Regulation of photosynthesis of Phaeocystis Globosa in fluctuating light conditions. In: P. Mathis (ed.), Photosynthesis: from light to biosphere. Vol. V, 797-800. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Flameling, I.A., Kromkamp, J. (1997) Photoacclimation of Scenedesmus protuberans (Chlorophyceae) to fluctuating irradiances simulating vertical mixing. Journal of Plankton Res. Vol.19: pp. 1011-1024.
- Flameling, I.A. (1998). Growth and photosynthesis of eukaryotic microalgae in fluctuating light conditions, induced by vertical mixing. 136 pages. Ph.D. Thesis, Catholic University of Nijmegen/Netherlands Institute of Ecology.
- Flameling, I.A., Kromkamp, J. (1998). Light dependence of quantum yields for PSII charge separation and oxygen evolution in eucaryotic algae. Limnology and Oceanography (journal) Vol. 43, Issue 2, pp. 284-297.
- Riegman, R., I. A. Flameling, A. A. M. Noordeloos (1998). Size-fractionated uptake of ammonium, nitrate and urea and phytoplankton growth in the North Sea during spring 1994. Marine Ecology Progress Series Vol. 173: pp. 85–94.
- Flameling, I.A. (2003). Hoogwater, 50 jaar na de watersnoodramp. 184 pages. Kosmos/Z&K, ISBN 9021539659. (A memorial book for the 1953 storm surge that killed almost 2000 people in the Netherlands).
- Flameling, I.A. (2002). ISIS scenariowerkboek. Rijkswaterstaat.
- Saeijs, H.L.F., Flameling, I.A., Adriaanse, L.A. (1999). Eco-pragmatisme: Omgaan met rivieren, delta’s, kust en zee in de 21e eeuw. In: De Staat van Water: Opstellen over juridische, technische, financiële en politiek-bestuurlijke aspecten van waterbeheer. Eds. A.van Hall, Th.G. Drupsteen & H.J.M. Havekes (pp. 29-42). Vermande.