UCR is one of the English taught International Honors Colleges of Utrecht University. The staff and students
form a vibrant academic community centered on a Liberal Arts and Sciences bachelor’s education. Students
hail from all over the globe and follow a broad and intensive study program in the historic town of Middelburg,
where they live on the centrally-located city campus. Classes have an average of 22 students and include
continuous assessment as well as a high level of interaction with instructors. Instructors have great freedom in
designing their courses, and work within an environment that firmly has teaching as its priority, whilst also
supporting undergraduate and faculty research.
The candidate will conduct action and qualitative research in youth work organizations operating in the southern
coastal part of the Netherlands for an international European project, in collaboration and under supervision of
UCR researchers. The research will address the topics of:
1. (Psychological) safe spaces, where youth can express controversial opinions and grievances in youth
2. Potential of empowering, emancipatory activities fostering political self-efficacy to prevent engaging in
In addition, candidate may (co)supervise UCR students conducting research on these topics and on alternative
narratives to extremism.
- Recruitment of and contacting already committed youth organizations.
- Visiting youth organizations, conducting interviews with them and collecting data.
- Analyzing interviews and other data.
- Writing reports.
- Meeting with supervisors and collaborators at UCR and constructively responding to the suggestions.
- Participating in international project consortium meetings
- Co-supervising UCR students.
- Engaging in other project related activities.
Profile of Research Assistant
- Some experience with qualitative research and conducting in-depth interviews.
- Native Dutch speaker level
- Fluency in English speaking and writing
- Interest and some expertise (degree) in relevant disciplines:
- Minimum Masters or Bachelor-degree
Conditions of employment
UCR initially offers a project based contract for a year, starting preferably on the first of December 2019 with a possible extension for one or two years.
The employment contract is for 0.15fte (5.7 hours per week) and is project based due to the Orpheus project.
Salary will be based on VSNU salary scales in the range from scale 9 to max scale 11 based on knowledge and experience. Commuting expenses within the Netherlands will be partly reimbursed. Furthermore, UCR offers secondary benefits according to the Collective Labor Agreement Dutch Universities, such as:
- End of Year Bonus (8.3%)
- Holiday allowance (8%)
- ABP Pension arrangement
- Multiple choices model (CAO a la Carte
- Holiday leave hours of 232 per year based on fulltime employment
Applications should be sent in before November 14, 2019 and include a resume and the names of at least two references:
University College Roosevelt
Attn. Mrs. H. Abdenbi, HR Advisor
P.O. Box 94, NL-4330 AB Middelburg, the Netherlands
Or (preferably) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information regarding the vacancy, you can contact Dr. Marcin Sklad, email@example.com
Note: this vacancy will be published internally and externally simultaneously. In case an internal and external candidate is proven equally suitable, the internal candidate will have priority in the selection process.